Churchyard

The burial place for thousands of people throughout the centuries surrounds the church. Near the eastern wall is a tall obelisk which marks the resting place of 146 men and boys of the total killed in the Lundhill Colliery explosion in 1857. Alongside the western wall is the monument erected to mark the ten victims of a winding accident at Houghton Main Colliery on 30th December, 1886.  Inbetween are many interesting headstones which tell the story of the village of Darfield and the surrounding area through recent centuries – all those who are conscious of Health & Safety situations should read the headstone for Robert Milthorpe, which is near the west door of the church!

 

FODCY Churchyard picture
Churchyard